Broccoli, Potato and Spinach Soup with Cheese Toast.
This is a tasty, wholesome and easy-to-make broccoli, potato and spinach soup served with warm, crispy cheese toast. As the colder months start to make their way over, there’s nothing better than starting the winter season with a wholesome bowl of homemade, vegetable soup.
We’ve perfected this recipe to be eaten any day of the week and it can easily be prepared in bulk and saved for an easy lunch or dinner the next day. Plus, it’s a great way to sneak in your daily intake of veggies. Especially if you, your children or your partner aren’t a fan of eating these ingredients on their own, in side dishes or salads. However, getting those greens in is an absolute must during such an uncertain time.
It’s important to remember that each of these vegetables are super beneficial for your health. Broccoli is considered an all-star food with many health benefits. While low in calories, it is rich in essential vitamins such as B1, B2, B3, B6, iron, magnesium and holds as much vitamin C as an orange! When mixed with the rest of our soup’s wonderful flavours you won’t even be able to tell you’re eating broccoli.
Our second super green ingredient is spinach, every bite of this little leaf is either fighting a disease or preventing it. Rich in iron and vitamin A, C and K, this veggie is your number one immune booster. Don’t be afraid of it, it will blend seamlessly into your delicious bowl of warm goodness and will leave your body wanting so much more.
Last but not least is the humble potato. Loaded with fibre, potassium, vitamin C, and vitamin B6, it can help lower the total amount of cholesterol in the blood, which then decreases the risk of heart disease. There’s often a common misconception that potatoes are fattening, however they are filled with so many good nutrients that we should all take advantage of. After all, everything is good in moderation.
With a simple touch of a finger, our Slimline Touch Control Hob will use its immediate and precise heat response to perfectly simmer each vegetable. There’s no long wait for the pan to heat up or for it to cool down, which in turn saves you time and ensures your ingredients aren’t spoilt by a slow response. The hobs accurate temperatures will help you achieve gourmet results and give a whole new meaning to precise cooking.
Once you’ve simmered all the necessary ingredients, the key to achieving that perfect thick, creamy texture in your soup is to use Defy’s 800W Table Blender. Not only can its special Borosilicate Glass handle the heat but it’s powerful enough to blend all the ingredients in just a couple of seconds.
What you’ll need:
- 30ml olive oil or any oil of your choice
- 30ml butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 heads of broccoli, roughly chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 100g pack of spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- ½ tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 x 400g tin of evaporated milk or 2 cups of full cream milk
- 1 small bunch watercress for garnishing - optional
- 4 slices sourdough bread, toasted
- 4 slices mature cheddar
- Melt the butter and oil in a heavy based stock pot.
- Fry onions until soft and slightly caramelised.
- Add potatoes, broccoli and garlic and simmer for around 15 minutes.
- Pour in the stock and the evaporated milk and allow to simmer until all the vegetables are soft.
- Add the spinach and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Blend the soup into a puree to make it thick and creamy.
- Season to taste, you can add spring onions, coriander or chilli to add more flavour if you like.
- Serve with the cheesy toast recipe below.
For the toast:
Toast bread in Defy’s Metallic Red 2 Slice Toaster for that crisp, sourdough perfection. Top with cheese – you can dust with a little cayenne pepper for extra flavour. Grill in the oven and let our innovative Thermofan+ Technology use its optimum airflow to melt the cheese faster while simultaneously maintaining the sourdough’s crunchy texture.